It’s true that Venice is captivating and photogenic. I also manage to get lost when I’m there. Typically I am trying to get from Piazza San Marco to Rialto Bridge for some serious, shop-till-you-drop shopping. And every time (well, three times) I have gotten lost. As for following the directional signs on buildings along the way, well…
Here are my tips to make absolutely sure that you will get lost in Venice:
- Be sure to follow the signs.
- Stop at every alley or cross street and think, “I wonder where that goes?”
- Comparison shop by stopping at every Murano glass jewelry shop. Because you are certain you will never find these places again, buy as many bracelets as you can fit on your arm(s). Admire them as you walk and forget to look for signs (not that it helps, see #1)
- Keep telling yourself that you’re NOT going to take another picture, then walk around the corner and – ooooh, beautiful!- out comes the camera.
- Give up finding your destination and just enjoy every beautiful sight. Remember to blink occasionally.
- Don’t look at your watch. See if you can make time stand still.
I did find the Rialto Bridge eventually, and as I admired my beautiful new jewelry, I realized that I had to figure out how to get back to San Marco. So, I followed the same steps listed, only in reverse order.