- Expect to do a lot of walking while on a trip. You will not find ramps, people movers, elevators, or escalators in 500 plus year old castles.
- Don’t expect lots of ice in your drinks. You may not get any ice unless you ask. For example: once I did ask, the waiter used tongs to put one ice cube in my drink.
- Try to figure out how much something costs before you pay for it. One time I emptied my coin purse out on the counter and asked the cashier to take the coins out to pay for my purchases. The people in line behind me didn’t really appreciate this, either.
- Smile and be polite. Admire your surroundings. Don’t loudly mention how everything is smaller/older/more confusing than in your hometown.
- Have fun! Look forward to all the great things you will experience. The memories you will accumulate along the way are well worth the effort it took to make the trip.
Does anyone have other handy tips to share?